OLAP is a kind of offline data source that can be accessed several times. The complete form of OLAP is online analytical processing. It is a method of computing that enables the users to selectively and efficiently extract and query data to analyze it from multiple points of view.
In comparison, Tableau is a platform for visual analytics that can transform the way data is used to solve various problems. Discussed below are the features of Tableau OLAP is and the benefits it offers.
What is Tableau?
Tableau is the fastest growing and powerful tool for data visualization that is used in the field of Business Intelligence. It helps in the process of simplification of data to change it into an easily understandable format.
It helps in creating data that can be clearly understood by the experts at any level within a company. Tableau also allows those users who are non-technical to develop customized dashboards.
The process of data analysis becomes much more manageable and faster with the help of tableau tools in Business Intelligence companies. Some of the best features of Tableau software are:
- Real-time analysis
- Data blending
- Collaborating data, etc.
One of the best features of Tableau is that it does not need any specific programming or technical skills to operate. Thus, this tool has become very popular n several sectors such as research, business, etc.
What is OLAP?
As mentioned earlier, OLAP helps the users in extracting query data from a data store to analyze it from various points of view. These OLAP business intelligence queries usually help in the procedures like financial reporting, trend analysis, budgeting, sales forecasting, and many more.
Types of OLAP systems
Usually, OLAP systems have three types, such as:
- Relational OLAP or ROLAP: This performs multidimensional analysis of data that is stored in a relational database.
- Multidimensional OLAP or MOLAP: This indexes into a multidimensional database directly.
- Hybrid OLAP or HOLAP: This is a combination of MOLAP and ROLAP.
What benefits can Tableau OLAP offer?
There are many benefits of Tableau OLAP that an organization can enjoy. Some of those are:
1. Helps in performing calculations that are business-focused
An important reason for the popularity of Tableau OLAP is it enables the users to perform business-focused calculations. Some of those calculations are:
- Time series calculations along with time intelligence. For example, moving averages, percent difference from the previous year, period-to-date values, etc.
- Aggregations that roll-up values are based on those levels that are organized in hierarchies.
- Helps in complex inter-dimensional or cross-dimensional calculations.
- Helps in simple intra-dimensional or Matrix related calculations, such as indexes, variances, etc.
2. Offers flexible reporting
OLAP systems allow the users to query data and create accurate reports with the help of those tools that are easy to use. In addition to custom and commercial spreadsheet applications, this OLAP system helps the front-end reporting tools to work flexibly.
3. Helps in speed-of-thought analysis
Speed-of-thought analysis that can pose queries to get immediate responses can be done smoothly with the help of Tableau OLAP. There is no need to wait for data, meaning fewer interruptions in the thought process of the analyst.
Hence, the analyst can pose another query with good speed based on the results of the previous question. Therefore, OLAP offers a faster response along with a multidimensional and intuitive organization of data. Thus, it can help the analyst to explore some important relationships.
Therefore, Tableau OLAP has numerous benefits that can quickly help in the smooth operation of an organization.